Handwara girl records statement before CJM: Police

SRINAGAR: The schoolgirl from Handwara town of northern Kashmir, on whom an army man allegedly attempted molestation on April 12, recorded her statement before the concerned Chief Judicial Magistrate, police said.

In a statement issued to media on Sunday, police said that the girl and her father were produced before the Chief Judicial Magistrate, Handwara, yesterday to record her statement.

“In her statement before the Judicial Magistrate she revealed that on April 12 after school hours while proceeding to her home with her friend she entered in a public lavatory near main chowk Handwara for answering the call of nature,” police said.

“As soon as she came out of lavatory she was confronted, assaulted and dragged by two boys and her bag was snatched. One of the boys was in school uniform,” police said.

However, police did not reveal if she said anything about the army man or alleged molestation attempt.

“The production of the girl along with her father before the Chief Judicial Magistrate, Handwara was to comply the order of the Hon’ble High Court J&K,” police said.

Her statement was recorded in case FIR number 130/2016 under section 354, 341, 509 RPC of Police Station Handwara, police added.

The Jammu and Kashmir High Court on Saturday took note of her custodial detention and asked police to explain under which law it had detained the minor girl and other family members. The Court also directed police not to record her statement in police custody anymore.

The girl was allegedly molested by an army man, after which protests erupted in Handwara town of northern Kashmir’s Kupwara district on April 12, leading to killing of five civilians in army firing and tear smoke shelling.

A mysteriously leaked video was circulated on internet after the alleged molestation bid, in which the girl, whose face was clearly visible, refuted the allegations that she was molested and instead said the local boys misbehaved with her. Human rights groups have criticized police for recording her video statement in custody and circulating it illegally.

Meanwhile, the girl’s mother, who talked to media yesterday first time after the incident, said the statement of her daughter was recorded under police pressure and she was not allowed to meet her daughter since her detention.