SRINAGAR: India said on Thursday it carried out surgical strikes on “terrorist launch pads” across the Line of Control (LoC) inflicting heavy casualties, triggering a sharp warning from Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif.
Eleven days after four attackers killed 18 Indian soldiers in Jammu and Kashmir, Indian Special Forces targeted “some terrorist teams” positioned at launch pads on the LoC, the military announced.
“During these counter-terrorist operation, significant casualties have been caused to the terrorists and those who support them,” Lt Gen Ranbir Singh, the Director General Military Operations (DGMO), told the media here.
The announcement followed a meeting of the Cabinet Committee on Security chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Pakistan denied any surgical strike by India but admitted to the death of two soldiers in cross-LoC firing by Indian troops.
Sharif warned that Pakistan’s “intent for peaceful neighbourhood should not be mistaken as our weakness.”
Gen Ranbir Singh said the targeted “terrorists had planned to carry out infiltration and terrorist strikes in Jammu and Kashmir and various other metros in our country.”
“The operation was basically focussed to ensure that these terrorists do not succeed in their design of infiltration and carrying out destruction and endangering the lives of citizens of our country,” he said.
Gen Ranbir Singh said the operation had since ceased. “We do not have plans of further continuation of the operations. However, the Indian armed forces are fully prepared for any contingency that may arrived.”
The surgical strikes were based on “very specific and credible information,” he said.
The Pakistani military said there were no surgical strikes by India, “instead there had been cross-border fire initiated and conducted by India which is existential phenomenon.”