Civilian killing reaches Kupwara while toll reaches 32

SRINAGAR: Four days after killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani, the death toll in ongoing anti-India protests mounted to 33 as one more protester was on Tuesday killed and two succumbed to injuries.

The authorities, after south Kashmir, also snapped mobile telecommunication services in Kupwara today.

Sources said the youth namely Arshad Ahmad of Batapora, Sopore was killed when SOG personnel opened fire in Kralpora Kupwara during clashes. The firing also left 14 persons injured; out of them four are critical.

“At Kralpora Kupwara a mob attacked the Police Station and set on fire a Police vehicle in which police men got trapped. While dealing with the incident one person was injured who later on succumbed to his injuries,” said a police spokesperson.

Meanwhile, the two youths who succumbed to their injuries were identified as Shahid Ganai of Checkchalan Shopian and Aamir Nazir of Bijbehera Town. While Shahid was shot on Saturday, Aamir was hit by bullets yesterday near Zipara in Bijbehara. With these deaths, the toll in four days climbed to 33. Also, a policeman identified as Afroz Khan also died during these four days.

Meanwhile, the clashes continued across Kashmir on day four even as curfew and shutdown remained in place. The authorities imposed strict curfew in Old City areas of city, Maisuma, Batamaloo and other sensitive parts. Sources said that clashes erupted at Ganderbal, Pulwama, Shopian, Ganderbal, Kupwara, Handwara, Kulgam, Anantnag, Tral and Baramulla. At Tral, a police post guarding minorities was torched by protesters while another police post was set ablaze at Rohmoo.

The authorities meanwhile suspended mobile connectivity in north Kashmir’s Kupwara district in wake of volatile situation. There is complete breakdown of mobile and internet communication in south Kashmir and only BSNL broadband and mobile is working.

Meanwhile, thousands of people today visited the house of Burhan Wani on his ‘Chahrum’ and offered Fateh prayers for the slain. The mourners had come from far off places and paid tributes to the slain commander. The visitors were seen greeted by father of Burhan, Muzzafar Wani, who is a school principal by profession.